Check out this recipe if you’re looking for a quick hack to packing heaps of veg and nutrients into one meal for the whole family.
This vegetable tian is a dish layered with veggies, slow-cooked in the oven with herbs and garlic, with plenty of olive oil. Your seven-a-day in one dish.
- Total time 1 hours
- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 50 minutes
- extra virgin olive oil 2 tbsp
- leeks 2
- courgette 2, sliced thinly lengthways
- red pepper 2, quartered
- green pepper 2, quartered
- yellow pepper 2, quartered
- aubergine 1 large, sliced thinly lengthways
- celeriac root 1, sliced thinly
- large tomatoes 4, sliced thinly
- 2, sliced thinly potatoes
- cloves garlic 2, crushed
- fresh thyme sprigs 3-4
- gruyere cheese 50g, grated
Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. In a small frying pan, gently sauté the leeks until soft.
In a large deep roasting dish, layer the vegetables so that they fit tightly together. After each layer, scatter over a few herbs, some garlic, salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Press down all the layers with your hands.
Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake in the oven for about 30mins. Remove the foil, sprinkle over the cheese and return to the oven for a further 20mins until the top is golden and the vegetables are tender.
Add protein – Make a thick white sauce with butter, milk and flour. Stir in grated cheese and 2 eggs. Pour over the tian and bake as above but without the foil.