Fast keto is a new type of ketogenic diet that involves only one large keto meal per day. However, most of us are used to eating three meals, interspersed with snacks, which means we often exceed our calorie needs. In this article, we will take a look at choosing the best keto nuts specially in the speed keto diet.
What is speed keto?
Speed keto is a recent addition to the pantheon of ketogenic diet options. It was created by health coach Harlan Kilstein. And as the name implies, it’s about entering ketosis quickly.
Ketosis is a metabolic state in which your body breaks down stored body fat and dietary fat into powerful energy molecules called ketones. It’s important to note that experts like Dr. Kiltz claim that our body continues to burn fat as its primary fuel even when ketone levels are not high.
In addition to providing energy to most cells in the body, ketones fuel the growth of new cells stimulated during intermittent fasting, while potentially destroying cancer cells.
Fast keto combines the ketosis-stimulating power of intermittent fasting with the high-fat, low-carb eating pattern of keto.
To accelerate ketosis, fast keto involves 20-hour fasts. For most people, this reduces the time needed to enter ketosis from 2 to 4 days to one fasting period.
Most fast keto meals are close to standard keto macronutrients for fat, carbohydrate, and protein.
Why do people practice speed keto?
People practice fast keto because of many supposed benefits inherent to both keto and intermittent fasting, including
- Simplifying lifestyle
- Improving/restoring gut health
- Weight loss
- Stimulation of autophagy (cell turnover)
- Reducing inflammation
- Increased sensitivity and hormonal balance
Foods in the Speed Keto meal plan
Speed keto meals focus on fatty meats and nutritious animal foods:
- Ruminant meats – steaks, lamb, bison, venison.
- Fatty keto fish: mackerel, anchovies, salmon.
- Keto seafood such as oysters, crab and salmon roe.
- Offal such as liver, kidney and bone marrow.
- Healthy keto fats like butter, tallow, ghee and coconut oil.
- Pork belly
- Cheese and high fat dairy products
- Vegetables suitable for the keto diet
- Small amounts of fruit suitable for the keto diet
- Nutrient-rich offal supplements when fresh offal is hard to find.
- Small amounts of keto nuts
- Small amounts of seeds that do not contain ketones, such as chia and pumpkin seeds.
Nuts can provide healthy fats, protein and important vitamins and minerals. However, some nuts are also rich in carbohydrates. So choosing the best nuts for a keto diet can be tricky.
In this article, we will take a look at peanuts in the fast keto diet.
How to find the best nuts for the keto diet?
Almost all types of nuts contain vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. Studies have shown that consuming nuts can reduce risk factors associated with heart disease [.
However, there are two factors to consider when finding the best nuts for the keto diet:
- The ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fats.
- Total (net) carbohydrate count.
A diet high in omega-6 versus omega-3 can increase inflammation. Some nuts are simply too high in carbohydrates to be suitable for the keto diet.
What about peanuts?
Although technically a legume, peanuts are the most popular “nut.” Delicious, filling and relatively low in carbohydrates, they are also rich in omega-6s.
Eating peanuts in moderation will help control diet-related inflammation.
Peanuts also contain a confusing mix of beneficial and harmful compounds. Here are some of them:
- Phytic Acid: Found in many nuts, seeds and grains, phytic acid binds to iron and zinc, limiting their absorption.
- Phytosterols: Found in high amounts in peanuts, phytosterols impair your body’s ability to absorb cholesterol from your digestive tract. 6 7
- p-Coumaric acid: A polyphenol and antioxidant in peanuts. 8
- Resveratrol: Another powerful antioxidant, studies show that resveratrol may reduce your risk of cancer and heart disease. 9
- Isoflavones: Another type of antioxidant polyphenol associated with various health benefits. 10
One ounce of peanuts contains:
|Total carbs||6 grams|
|Net carbs||4 grams|
Can we eat peanuts in speed keto diet?
If looking only at their micronutrient ratios, peanuts can fit into a well-formulated speed keto diet.
They also provide a decent amount of vital nutrients including B vitamins, antioxidant vitamin E, along with copper and magnesium.
However, peanuts are moderately high in carbs when compared to other nuts. Lower carb alternatives to peanuts on keto include walnuts, pecans, and macadamia nuts.
Peanuts also contain plant toxins and antinutrients that may make them unsuitable for people with inflammatory bowel disorders and leaky gut.
The bottom line: Peanuts won’t likely disturb ketosis, and they can be a delicious keto snack, but should be enjoyed in moderation on keto.